If you’re caring for a DERP Pension Benefit recipient, there are a few things you need to know in order to help manage their account and make health insurance and financial decisions on their behalf.
If you are an authorized caregiver, you will need to have the following on file with DERP to access and discuss the member’s account:
- Authorization of Release of Information Form
This will allow DERP to share the member’s account information with you.
- Financial Power of Attorney
This will allow you to handle the financial affairs of the member.
- Medical Power of Attorney
This will allow you to handle the medical affairs of the member.
For more information and guidance on how to submit documents, email Help@DERP.org.
Reporting a Death
It’s extremely important to notify DERP of the death of a retired member to prevent overpayment of DERP Pension Benefits. Beneficiaries will be responsible for repaying DERP for any overpayments that occur.
Email Help@DERP.org as soon as possible to notify DERP of the death of a retired member.
You’ll need to provide the following information:
- Full name, address, and birth date
- Date of death
- DERP ID or the last four numbers of the Social Security Number
- Your relationship to the deceased
- Primary contact in case more information is required
- Full name, address, and phone number
Once you’ve let us know, we will contact the deceased member’s listed beneficiaries regarding the benefits available and paperwork required.
Refer to the DERP Plus Benefits Death page for more information.